[Heb 6:9 NASB] But, beloved, we are convinced of better things concerning you, and things that accompany salvation, though we are speaking in this way.
[Heb 6:10 NASB] For God is not unjust so as to forget your work and the love which you have shown toward His name, in having ministered and in still ministering to the saints.
[Heb 6:11 NASB] And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence so as to realize the full assurance of hope until the end,
- Right now we don’t fully see our hope, but we know He is there.
[Heb 6:12 NASB] so that you will not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
- Enoch was taken up because he was pleasing to God
- Heb 11:6 NASB - And without faith it is impossible to please [Him,] for he who comes to God must believe that He is and [that] He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.
- Abraham: went out not knowing where he was going. Heb 11:15-16 NASB - And indeed if they had been thinking of that [country] from which they went out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better [country,] that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them.
- Abraham and Isaac. Heb 11:17 NASB - By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was offering up his only begotten
[Heb 6:13-14 NASB] For when God made the promise to Abraham, since He could swear by no one greater, He swore by Himself, saying, "I WILL SURELY BLESS YOU AND I WILL SURELY MULTIPLY YOU."
[Heb 6:15 NASB] And so, having patiently waited, he obtained the promise.
- Fast food society. We want it now.
[Heb 6:16 NASB] For men swear by one greater [than themselves,] and with them an oath [given] as confirmation is an end of every dispute.
[Heb 6:17 NASB] In the same way God, desiring even more to show to the heirs of the promise the unchangeableness of His purpose, interposed with an oath,
[Heb 6:18 NASB] so that by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have taken refuge would have strong encouragement to take hold of the hope set before us.
- Harbored by God, wherever we are.
[Heb 6:19-20 NASB] This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a [hope] both sure and steadfast and one which enters within the veil, where Jesus has entered as a forerunner for us, having become a high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.
- Jesus is our anchor
- Jesus is our hope
- Jesus is sure and a certainty
- He is steadfast (Stable, sure)
- He is our high priest
- Why do we need an anchor? Heb 2:1 NASB - For this reason we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away [from it.]
Close: Aldi Adlilang was born in 2000. He lived on Sulawesi and worked as a lamp keeper on a floating fish trap located 78 miles out at sea since he was 16. On July 14, 2018 the rope that attached his fish trap to the seabed broke and sent him drifting out into the Pacific Ocean. " At the beginning, he had a month's worth of food and supplies. Once Adiliang's supplies ran out, he survived through catching fish and cooking them with the wood of his fish trap. To get water, he collected rainwater and filtered the salt water through his shirt to make it drinkable. Some ships passed his boat but none stopped for him. He was eventually picked up by a ship heading to Japan and once he got there, he was flown back to Indonesia.
If you are drifting, Jesus will still come to by to give you refuge.