Author: Apostle Paul? Had to have a good grasp of Greek. Had to have a vast knowledge of Hebrew texts.
Audience: Jewish believers.
Intent: To show the excellence of Jesus. More excellent than the angels, Moses, Joshua, the high priest, the priesthood, the Sabbath, the sacrifices, the earthly tabernacle, the old covenant, works: [Heb 12:2 NKJV] looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of [our] faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
[2Pe 3:15-16 NKJV] 15 and consider [that] the longsuffering of our Lord [is] salvation--as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, 16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable [people] twist to their own destruction, as [they do] also the rest of the Scriptures.
To whom was Peter writing?
• [1Pe 1:1 NKJV] 1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To the pilgrims of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
Paul would go to the Jews first.
• [Rom 1:16 NKJV] For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
The author uses language similar to Paul:
• [Act 23:1 NKJV] 1 Then Paul, looking earnestly at the council, said, "Men [and] brethren, I have lived in all good conscience before God until this day."
• [1Ti 1:5, 19 NKJV] 5 Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, [from] a good conscience, and [from] sincere faith, ... 19 having faith and a good conscience, which some having rejected, concerning the faith have suffered shipwreck,
• [Heb 13:18-19 NKJV] Pray for us; for we are confident that we have a good conscience, in all things desiring to live honorably. But I especially urge [you] to do this, that I may be restored to you the sooner.
• The author of Hebrews mentions Timothy: [Heb 13:22-24 NKJV] And I appeal to you, brethren, bear with the word of exhortation, for I have written to you in few words. Know that our brother Timothy has been set free, with whom I shall see you if he comes shortly. Greet all those who rule over you, and all the saints. Those from Italy greet you.
[Heb 1:1 NKJV] God, who at various times (Πολυμερῶς: portions) and in various ways (πολυτρόπως) spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets,
• [Gen 3:15 NKJV] And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her Seed; He shall bruise your head, And you shall bruise His heel." (Protevangelium)
• [Psa 2:7 NKJV] "I will declare the decree: The LORD has said to Me, 'You [are] My Son, Today I have begotten You.
• [Isa 9:6 NKJV] For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
• [Isa 7:14 NKJV] "Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.
• [Mat 1:21-23 NKJV] "And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins." So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: "Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us."
[Heb 1:2 NKJV] has in these last days spoken to us by [His] Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds;
• [Rom 15:4 NKJV] For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.
Jesus speaks directly to the people
• [Gal 1:11-12 NKJV] But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. For I neither received it
from man, nor was I taught [it], but [it came] through the revelation of Jesus Christ.
Jesus made everything: [John 1:1-3 NKJV] In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.
[Heb 1:3 NKJV] who being the brightness (shining forth) of [His] glory and the express image (precise reproduction) of His person, and upholding (Coulomb repulsion) all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,
Who is Jesus? Jesus is God.
• [John 14:6-11 NKJV] Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. "If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him."
• Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us."
• Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, 'Show us the Father'?
• "Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own [authority]; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works.
• "Believe Me that I [am] in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.