[Jer 31:31-34 NKJV] 31 "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah-- 32 "not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day [that] I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the LORD. 33 "But this [is] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 "No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the LORD. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."
The Old Covenant
- The Mosaic Covenant – Exodus 19-24 Conditional, The New Covenant – Jeremiah 31:31-34 Unconditional.
Under the Old Covenant, we do not have the Spirit of God within us. The Law cannot change us from the outside in. It reveals our flaws.
Requirements of the Old Covenant: 613 Commandments: Three voluntary sacrifices (animal sacrifices and grain offerings) Two mandatory sacrifices.
The Law only provided a covering for sin
- For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, [and] not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect. For then would they not have ceased to be offered? For the worshipers, once purified, would have had no more consciousness of sins.
- But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. [Heb 10:1-3 NKJV]
- Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law [is] the knowledge of sin. [Rom 3:20 NKJV]
The Law does not lead us to being righteous with God
- [Rom 9:31 NKJV] 31 but Israel, pursuing the law of righteousness, has not attained to the law of righteousness.
The Covenant was broken by Israel
- [1Ki 19:14 NKJV] 14 And he said, "I have been very zealous for the LORD God of hosts; because the children of Israel have forsaken Your covenant, torn down Your altars, and killed Your prophets with the sword. I alone am left; and they seek to take my life."
- [Isa 24:5 NKJV] 5 The earth is also defiled under its inhabitants, Because they have transgressed the laws, Changed the ordinance, Broken the everlasting covenant.
- The temple was destroyed, the sacrifices ceased, the priesthood disappeared. The OT Law can no longer be performed.
The New Covenant is Better:
- [Heb 9:28 NKJV] 28 so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.
- [Heb 9:14-15 NKJV] 14 how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? 15 And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.
- [Heb 9:24-26, 28 NKJV] 24 For Christ has not entered the holy places made with hands, [which are] copies of the true, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us; 25 not that He should offer Himself often, as the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood of another-- 26 He then would have had to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now, once at the end of the ages, He has appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself. ... 28 so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.
Our sins are remembered no more
- [Psa 103:12 NKJV] 12 As far as the east is from the west, [So] far has He removed our transgressions from us.
The Old Covenant is obsolete
- [Heb 8:13 NKJV] 13 In that He says, "A new [covenant]," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.
Under the New Covenant we receive Jesus’ Spirit. We are changed from the inside out.
[Rom 8:6-8 NKJV] 6 For to be carnally minded [is] death, but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.